BREAKING: Silver School of Social Work Shoots Down No Confidence Vote

Faculty of the Silver School of Social Work shot down a vote of no confidence against university president John Sexton yesterday. The motion of no confidence failed to pass after 12 faculty members voted in favor, 20 voted against, and 9 abstained.

Yesterday’s vote differs from other referendums regarding Sexton’s leadership, as all previous motions of confidence or no confidence passed. Faculties at the College of Arts and Sciences; Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development; Gallatin School of Individualized Study; and Tisch School of the Arts passed votes of no confidence earlier this year.

On May 10th, the faculty at Tisch Asia also voted no confidence, with 19 for, 1 against and 2 abstaining. The abroad campus, which once housed 158 students, will close down in 2015. The Union of Clerical, Administrative and Technical Staff at NYU also passed a motion of no confidence on May 10th, with 157 yeas, 5 nays and 1 abstention.

To date, only the NYU School of Law passed a vote of confidence in favor of John Sexton. Yesterday’s vote rejected a vote of no confidence, rather than passing a motion of confidence.

The Faculty Against Sexton Plan (FASP) pressed the Board of Trustees to respond to recent votes with action yesterday. Specifically, the FASP questioned, “What steps will the Board of Trustees take, as soon as possible, to appoint a less divisive president, restore faculty morale, and reform the fiscal and governance culture of NYU?”

“And the fact that opinion is divided does not prove someone is a ‘divisive leader’,” said John Beckman, Vice President for Public Affairs. “Just as John has taken steps to try to address faculty concerns, it is the Trustees’ hope and expectations that the faculty, whom they respect, will participate in working with John to continue to improve NYU. They believe the right solution will come from all of NYU’s stakeholders working together in good faith, and putting the interests of the University first.”

The results of all votes of confidence and no confidence regarding Sexton’s leadership are listed in the table below. Overall, 56.42% of voting NYU constituents disapproved of Sexton, while 35.29% favored the university president.

In Favor of Sexton

Against Sexton

Abstentions

College of Arts and Sciences

224

298

47

The NYU School of Law

59

2

3

Gallatin School of Individualized Study

21

23

6

Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development

45

117

22

Tisch Asia

1

19

2

Union of Clerical, Administrative and Technical Staff

5

157

1

Tisch School of the Arts

76

93

16

Silver School of Social Work

20

12

9

451

721

106

35.29%

56.42%

8.29%

Comments

Share Your Thoughts

3 Comments

1. says

I want my tuition money back.

All college presidents whore themselves out for donations – thats the job description. But J-SEX has whored himself out to the lowest of the low. Tossing humanitarian lawyer, Chen Guangcheng is just the latest egregious example.

Before that J-SEX whored out the NYU name to Abu Dhabi of the United Arab Emirates, one of the most wanton human rights abusers of our generation. This is a nation that would restrict an NYU education (substandard as it is) to 50 % of our campus who are women and put to death many of the remaining students (Jews, gays, atheists, overtly religious Christians, Buddhists, loud-mouth dissidents….

J-SEX hasn’t a scintilla of concern where the money is coming from or what he needs to do to secure the donation. I can’t wait til I start making money so I can have J-SEX working my pool parties dressed up in only a banana hammock and a bow tie handing out tapas and serving drinks to my most obnoxious guests for a paltry contribution.

-Arik Katzenberg