Replyallcalypse 2012: NYU Local Explains Why Your Inbox Was Blowing Up Last Night [UPDATED]

39,979 students received a message from the Bursar’s Office. All 39,979 were on NYU’s “src-contacts” mailing list.

39,979 students were about to meet Max Wiseltier.

“I was trying to forward the message to my mom, to get her input on the paperless tax forms,” Max Wiseltier, sophomore, explained later, “but all of NYU was cc’ed accidentally.”

When Max went to forward the innocuously titled “Opting Out of the Paper Version of Your 1098T” to his mother, he had no idea that he was one fatal “reply all” away from NYU fame.

His accidental email and hasty apology triggered a rare, University-wide revelation: We simultaneously realized that any message, complaint, whim, link, video, or GIF could be sent to nearly 40,000 people in an instant.

We had been given a great and terrible power. For a moment we contemplated responsibility, then gleefully tossed it aside in favor of posting pictures of cats. The ensuing hours were referred to as “The Reply-Allpocalypse,” “The Day NYU Broke,” and “Will Everyone Please Just Shut Up.”

But how could this happen? Are we allowed to blame Max Wiseltier for all this? In brief: “poorly constructed listserves”; “no”.

NYU Local’s tech editor, Ben Zweig, explains: “NYU uses something called E-Mail Direct for most mass emails. That system is meant for one-way emailing.” E-Mail Direct does not allow for reply-alls, therefore you cannot respond to most mass emails. Several NYU departments still rely on the older, discussion-based ListManager program, however. ListManager also sends mass emails, but allows discussions (in the form of reply-alls), unless the settings are adjusted, disabling group discussions and only permitting emails from admins.”

The Student Resource Center is still using the ListManager default settings.

“I feel like I may have exposed a serious flaw in the way they handle their listservs,” says Max. He is minoring in Computer Science (“a little ironic given my flop”), and has a legitimate point. Until corrected, emails sent from the “src-contacts” mailing list are open for discussion. And reply-alls. And pictures of Nic Cage.

Still, Max remains optimistic. “I think the best thing to come out of these emails is a rekindled sense of community at NYU (even if it’s based on being stupid).” And in between gripes about constant emails, this idea of a connected community seemed to resonate with many.

“I want all of us to be happy forever,” one student wrote.

Suddenly granted an audience, another student voiced the immortal query, “Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck?”

And third student, “Pretty cool that this emails the entire student body. Because I’m graduating next month, I thought I’d use this opportunity to Say thanks for the memories, and good luck with everything!”

I am half-asleep when my phone buzzes. It’s my NYU email account, hours later and still alive with reply-alls. It reads: “All of you. Be quiet. Now.”

“I’ll stop if he stops,” the thread answers itself moments after. I feel as though I’m twelve again, at some massive sleepover, waiting for the last whisperers to end their conversations and close their eyes.

Good night, 39,979 students. Good night, NYU. Good night, Max Wiseltier. It was nice meeting you.

UPDATE: We’ve received a comment from David Vogelsang of the NYU Student Resource Center, who says he is behind the listserv mix-up. The accounts on the list have now been deleted. “And yes, you are absolutely correct that I should have used Email Direct instead of Lyris,” Vogelsang wrote. This does, it seems, mark the end of Replyallcalypse:

Hi everyone — I’m the culprit behind the Lyris blunder. I was assisting the Bursar with an email message and in populating one of the SRC Listserves did not realize the list I was using was one that allowed for responses and thus the “replyallcalypse”.

This morning I deleted everyone on the list. ITS had disabled around midnight, but there were so many that responded, emails were still in the que. Thanks to ITS, the que was cleared and the listserve deleted. We are monitoring for any residual emails.

And yes, you are absolutely correct that I should have used Email Direct instead of Lyris.

I take full responsibility for this blunder and offer my sincere apologies for the frustrating situation that was created.

Sincerely,
David Vogelsang
NYU Student Resource Center

[Image via Brett Chamberlin]

35 Comments

• Leah Clancy
    November 27, 2012

@Jacob So happy you like it!!! maybe *your* witty comment will be picked up by buzzfeed, gawker, gizmodo, and nymag too. Let’s wait and see!

• Eric Silver
    November 28, 2012

LEAH CLANCY BURN.

• Yasser Hernandez
    November 28, 2012

At least NYU has a good mail server that doesn’t crash easily ?

• Michael McGraw-Herdeg
    November 28, 2012

Watching student newspapers cover large e-mail conversations is one of life’s little joys. Here’s the MIT student newspaper in 1998: http://tech.mit.edu/V118/N51/spam.6.1.51n.html

• Eliana Raninowitz
    November 28, 2012

My college (much smaller) had a similar incident earlier this year. Many e-mails sent here are still susceptible to reply-alls, though!

• Cole Dutcher
    November 28, 2012

queue.

• Gregand Yasmin
    November 28, 2012

I work for a multi-national corporation that has around 100,000 employees worldwide. The company changed from Lotus Notes to Outlook last year and someone in Spain sent a “Goodbye” to the whole company – similar to this. There were over 100 Reply-Alls within a span of a week. It was unbelievable. And mostly people replying all to tell everyone to stop replying all! As much as our society tries to become more technologically advanced, we still find ways to cause chaos. Talking Heads, “Same As It Ever Was”.

• Ricky Taylor
    November 28, 2012

I’m not a graduate of NYU but I have friends who attended NYU. However, when I was at Gallaudet University many years ago, similar thing has happened. Sure, NYU is nowhere close to what Gallaudet is. Gallaudet has 2,000 students as well as more than 1K faculty & staff. I have no idea how many people worked for NYU. I’m sure more than 40K are students at NYU in some capacity.

However, at Gallaudet’s “University Center” (Now known as Campus Activities), one staff member inadvertently clicked “reply all” which led everyone to do the same which annoys me to no end but I’ll never forget one funny email which someone announced that there will be a picnic at football field for people who might be interested in pedophilia activity. The way it was written, it was so clandestine enough for few ones to find it funny but the University quickly realized that it was out of control so they quickly clamped everything from that point on.

Oh, that happened in 1994, I believe.

R-

• Elizabeth Herring
    November 28, 2012

yeah and check out these reply all shirts lol
    http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product2.aspx?number=738571105

• James Jimmyson
    November 29, 2012

100 ducks. No question.

• Harry Pachty
    November 29, 2012

Vogelsang is the German word for “twitter”. Coincidence?

• Micha H
    November 29, 2012

@ Harry Pachty: no it isn’t

• Lisa Rowe
    November 29, 2012

It’s QUEUE! QUEUE! Honestly, can’t anyone get that right anymore?

/grammar bitch for the thread.

• sam bernhart
    November 29, 2012

@Ricky Taylor cool story bro

• Ralf Suckow
    November 29, 2012

You made it into the top 10 headlines of german Spiegel online:

http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/studium/uni-panne-student-schickt-e-mail-an-kommilitonen-statt-mutter-a-869992.html

Cool publicity stunt, eh!