NYU Student Killed While Skateboarding In Union Square [UPDATED]

A skateboarder was killed yesterday afternoon by a truck on Union Square West. Now, despite initial reports identifying him as an unnamed 24-year-old male, we can confirm that the person killed was Kyle Larson, a 20-year-old NYU sophomore. The NYPD as well as sources close to Larson confirmed his death.

Larson was riding down Union Square West alongside the truck when a bicyclist riding the wrong way up the street caused him to swerve, reported Gothamist. He veered under the truck, which did not stop in time to save his life. He was taken to Beth Israel Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. [UPDATE: Gothamist has posted a surveillance video of the wanted cyclist, embedded below.]

Originally from Manhasset, Long Island, Larson was an undecided student in the College of Arts and Sciences. While in high school, Larson was the drum major of the Manhasset marching band. Members of the Manhasset high school marching band community received an email from Band Director Randy Knudsen this evening about Larson’s death, describing him as a “tremendous musician and student leader.”

“Fellow student musicians who knew Kyle saw him as a very passionate musician who dedicated the most part of his high school career to the music program at Manhasset High School. The community lost a very special person last night. I assure you his legacy will not be forgotten for many years,” Knudsen wrote.

Larson toured Eastern Europe as a clarinetist and saxophonist with the Metropolitan Youth Orchestra in July 2010, led by executive director John McNeur.

“He was a great orchestra member and loved by all of the members of the touring ensemble,” McNeur told NYU Local.

NYU has yet to issue a statement regarding his death. The wake is being held Friday at Fairchild Funeral Home in Manhasset.

If you were a friend of the victim and need someone to talk to, call the Wellness Exchange hotline at (212)-443-9999. We’ll update as developments progress.

[image via]

Comments

1. Jeff Rathgeber says

As an alum, as an NYU employee, and as a fellow Long Islander, I’m just heartbroken to read of this. My deepest condolences to the family of Kyle Larson.

2. Anton Alicante says

As a fellow classmate of Kyle’s, this tragic news is still hard to absorb. I have had the privilege of getting to know him a little bit and share a few classes with him. He will surely be missed. My prayers and thoughts go out to Kyle and his loved ones.

3. Lisa C says

I grew up a few blocks away from Kyle, and this unfortunately occurred one block away from where I live now. We met in preschool, attended all of grade school together, and then came to NYU together. He was a great dude. The Larson family is a great family. No one deserves this, least of all Kyle. He left us happy memories. He is loved.

I just wanted to post here to say how Rey sorry I am that this tragedy occurred. I don’t go to NYU, nor do I know Kyle, but I was right there when the collision occurred, and I aw what were probably the last few seconds of Kyle’s life. Needless to say, this has caused a pretty profound impact on me, I just cannot get it out of my head. It’s just so damn sad to see someone roughly the same age as me, with so much life to live, ride by me on a skateboard one second, and lie dying on the street the next.

Like I said, I didn’t know him personally, but I stayed around the scene of the accident for quite a while and was able to see his face, and for some reason I knew that he was a good person. I don’t pray usually, but I will for the family of the victim and all those who were close with him. I don’t really know what else to say that might be comforting to
    anyone, except that I am so very sorry.

5. Sanaya Mirpuri says

In the same boat as George, truly heartwrenching to hear of such news. As a fellow classmate just want to express my most sincere condolences and prayers to the Larson family, I know this is very tragic for the Manhasset community. Rest in peace Kyle, you are truly such a fascinating individual.

6. matt g says

this is terrible news. as a skateboarder this is a wake up call that it can seriously be dangerous out there.

also as a biker, after hearing about this incident i will make the effort to always ride with traffic, never against to avoid horrible situations like this one.

my thoughts and prayers go out to kyle, his family, and friends.

7. maureen s says

Such a tragic story. I’m from Manhasset as well and remember Kyle from high school. He was so funny, friendly, and smart. I cannot imagine how awful his parents must feel right now, especially right before Thanksgiving, when they were expecting him to be home with them. My heart goes out to the Larson family and my thoughts and prayers are with them.