NYU Sandy Refugees Receive Less Than Christian Welcome From Fordham Lincoln Center

Throughout history, the Catholic church has been a refuge and haven for lost souls. In the 600s in England, felons in church were offered sanctuary for 30-40 days from persecution. In the 1980s, Central American refugees were offered shelter in American Catholic churches during civil upheaval. During wartime, churches were generally avoided during conflict, though often subject to change. It only made sense that in the aftermath of Sandy that left Gramercy Green powerless, I did not panic but looked up for guidance.

No, not up to God. Uptown, to Fordham University’s Lincoln Center campus, where my boyfriend had power, Internet, and hot running water. This Jesuit university must have options available where a wayward, NYU soul could stay, shower, and get a bite to eat, right?

Wrong. Very wrong. Both of Fordham’s campuses, in the Bronx and Lincoln Center, have a peculiar guest policy, one that is unwavering even to the most needy cause. Because it is a Catholic university, their student policy has a “Moral Growth and Responsibility” clause, which states:

“One such principle holds that sexual intercourse is to be reserved for marriage. Cohabitation is therefore prohibited in the residence halls. Furthermore, a student is not permitted to request or cajole a roommate to leave his or her room, suite or apartment in order to facilitate sexual activities. Cohabitation may lead to sanctions ranging from Residence Hall probation to dismissal from the Residence Hall.”

This morality clause manifests itself in its guest policy, which prohibits anyone of the signing in a guest of the opposite gender overnight, royally screwed my roommate and I seeking refuge in the great land of power uptown. With no gas to light the stove, and our refrigerator rotting as we plotted, we set off to 60th and 9th, on foot, to try our luck with the fines. Each day someone stays overnight, against the policy, the host must pay a fine that starts at $15 and it doubles each additional day.

Arriving that Tuesday, we soon realized how bad the storm had hit and how long the power could be out. We were facing over a hundred dollars in fines. Our Connecticut families were out of power and contact and MTA was shut down, effectively trapping us on the island with our only connection at the Jesuit university.

With quick thinking, a lot of background James Bond theme music, and a little luck, we signed out at the main desk before the fine could get us. With my boyfriend’s suitemate distracting the guards, we took a back way that looped through the academic building and back to the second floor of the residence hall. Though usually highly guarded, he was not at his post, and with our friend blocking the security camera by talking, we ran up ten flights of stairs and back into the room.

For five days we remained in the apartment-style dorm, sending out my boyfriend for snacks and supplies when needed. By Saturday I was going stir crazy (you can only bake so much) but even seeing statuses of Kimmel and Alec Baldwin did not break my resolve. Having a hot shower, a bed, and perishable food on hand was more important than some entertainment and no plumbing.

When we arrived, approximately 30 other NYU students were lodging at Fordham. When we left, we didn’t know how many had stayed, but many probably had to leave or evade the policy by getting a same-gendered host. I hope that many were able to stay safe. I was shocked to see almost no outreach from Fordham to fellow universities who were struggling, and even more shocked to not see any variance on their policy during this stressful and dangerous time, especially when their facilities were capable when ours were not.

[image via]

Comments

1. Abacaxi Mamao says

Note that the Catholic church was not always a haven. See: Crusades (and Jews).

More recently, some churches did not provide safe haven for Jews fleeing the Holocaust. And the Pope at the time did not speak up against the atrocities taking place.

But Fordham should have known better! Couldn’t you get a female friend of your boyfriend to sign you in?

2. Kat Dominguez says

PREACH. Almost the same thing happened to me. Was signed in by a same-sex friend of my boyfriend on Saturday night with a guest pass and ended up staying inside for days so I didn’t have to be signed in again.

@Abacaxi – From what I heard, they weren’t even giving out their legitimate guest passes (same sex overnight passes obtained 24 hours for up to 2 nights) once the storm hit. They wanted to discourage guests, but I’m not sure why.

3. Bill Dolan says

I understand the Church may have a stigma in some circles, especially regarding the Holocaust and Nazi Germany, but it should be noted that the Church lost some of her greatest servants in the Holocaust as well (St. Maximilian Kolbe, Bl. Jakob Gapp and others), and Pius XII’s silence was not out of indifference, but rather tact. Pius XII and the Vatican OK’d the distribution of Baptismal Certificates to Jews in order to escape Nazi horror, and it should also be noted that the Pope housed refugees in the Vatican. Pius XI also issued an encyclical Mit brennender Sorge (With burning Concern) to be read in all Churches in Germany condemning Nazism.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation, but know that 1) College students, of which I am one, have a reputation of sexual immaturity, and 2) the Church, in particular, Catholic Charities in the Archdiocese has provided a number avenues of relief, as well as individual parishes in the confines of the Archdiocese.

Prayers are with you and everyone else in the wake of this tragedy.

4. Allison Greco says

I am a student at Fordham Lincoln Center, and I wholeheartedly sympathize with you – our school’s guest policy is absurd, and many have been working to change it, but to no avail. They are exceptionally strict during times of need and over the holidays. I enjoy living in a safe, secure environment, but students who are all over 18, not to mention law and grad students who also live in the dorms, should be able to have over who they want. I took in some friends from NYU but had to kick them out overnight because I am already on residence hall violation probation. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes – I’ll share this article with Res Life, and we’ll all continue towards changing it

5. Dave Johnson says

You are a guest. You do not have a right to be taken in off the street. If you are truly interested in refuge, in food, in clothing, and in shelter, then you will gratefully accept whatever assistance is offered. It is a shame that you are using a national tragedy to advance a political agenda. You are, alas, all too typical.

6. John Craig says

To the author: You’re a self righteous moron. Fordham has a responsibility to protect its students in a time of crisis, not the students of another university. NYU should be looking out for you instead.