Linsanity is the sports meme that won’t stop. And why should it stop? It’s extraordinarily refreshing to take a break from talking about Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki or Kobe Bryant and talk about something new. Plus– it’s not like Knicks fans have anything else to talk about. That being said, the news stories to come out of Jeremy Lin’s rise to fame are getting a tad ridiculous. Since the beginning of the Knicks recent five-game winning streak, all of these news stories have broken:
- Floyd Mayweather, a boxer who doesn’t play basketball nor have anything to do with basketball, says Jeremy Lin is gaining national attention for his race– not his athletic prowess.
- GQ tried to do a shocking expose digging up dirt on Jeremy Lin. They couldn’t find anything other than that he had a girlfriend in high school who he broke up with.
- Knicks player Amare Stoudemire returned from [ed: corrected] bereavement leave last night in a 90 – 87 win against the Raptors. This story is seemingly not about Jeremy Lin (who had 27 points last night). However, Stoudemire said the “The only positive for us [he and his family] during that whole week was we were watching the basketball games and we were watching Linsanity” So, actually, it is about Jeremy Lin!
- You can bid on this middle school yearbook signed by Jeremy Lin. Jonesing for more adolescent Lin? Here are some pictures of a 15 year-old Jeremy Lin.
The world is Linsane. Here’s some other news that is, shockingly enough, not about Jeremy Lin:
- Sports Illustrated photoshopped Kate Upton’s boobs out of the swimsuit issue. Are boobs not the point of the swimsuit issue? The world truly has turned upside down.
- The Mavs, who are relatively struggling compared to last year, beat the Clippers, who are dunktastic, last night 96 – 92. The Mavericks pulled ahead because Dirk Nowitzki is still awesome down the stretch.
- Centre Country Judge John M Cleland is allowing alleged child molester Jerry Sandusky to see his grandchildren, sit outside and play with his dog, have parties and leave his home sometimes to see his defense council.
- Randy Moss (who everybody in the NFL hates because he’s such a prick) said Monday he planned to return to football. As he plots his comeback, Moss also found time this week to feud with former Vikings teammate Cris Carter. Carter accused Moss of having a “quit mechanism.”
- Phil Mickelson kicked Tiger Woods ass at Pebble Beach over the weekend. Tiger announced he’s playing in the Honda Classic, which he hasn’t played since he was a 17 year-old amateur. Ouch. Tiger Woods’ athleticism must be directly linked to having anonymous sex with cocktail waitresses.
- A cheerleading coach in Cypress Woods, Texas was fired for calling her team a bunch of “highfalutin heifers.” The coach was also accused of being the first person to use the term “highfalutin” since the Civil War.
- Okay. Lets start thinking about the 2012 NBA MVP rankings. Chris Paul, Kevin Love, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant have been great all season. But it will probably be LeBron James. Because of course.
- UFC 144, taking place February 26th in Japan, will include seven fights instead of five in order to accommodate the time zone difference between the US and Japan. Good grief. Somebody is going to die on live TV during a UFC match-up.
In NYU News…
- The Men’s Volleyball team is ranked #7 in the country after winning two matches at the United Volleyball Crossover in Hoboken on Sunday. The team is undefeated at 4 – 0.
- This very confused looking NYU Men’s Wrestling team won the University Athletic Association championship on Saturday. The team won 19 – 14 over the University of Chicago. This is NYU’s fifth UAA title. NYU: The Los Angeles Lakers of Division III Wrestling.
That’s all for now. Maybe next week some high-profile NBA player will release a sex tape and the world won’t be so Linsatiable.