Twenty-Five Arrested At Baruch College Protest [VIDEO]

Last night, Baruch College students clashed with baton-wielding CUNY police forces. All of this went on as demonstrators launched a protest outside of the CUNY school’s Board of Trustees meeting. After a daylong rally, students congregated where the meeting was being held, where police battered them with batons and locked students in handcuffs. ABC Local News reports that the trustees were going to discuss a hike of tuition of $300 a year for the next five years. This increase is comparatively significant, as full-time resident undergraduate students pay $5,100 per year in tuition.

A representative of the National Lawyers Guild said that at least fourteen demonstrators were arrested, but students involved claim 25 arrests, including five taken down to central booking. Along with the CUNY police force, the Daily News reports, “witnesses said about 100 NYPD officers showed up to provide backup and arrest unruly protesters.”Videos were recorded throughout the protest, like the one below. You can see police pushing protestors back, as well as an arrest at the :25 mark. This is video number four in a series of YouTube videos, the rest that can be found here, here, here, and here. Another video arose on the NYTimes’ City Room blog, which was posted to Facebook by the Baruch College Newspaper, The Ticker.

City Room also details the campus police’s barricade of the Newman Vertical Campus Conference Center, at 55 Lexington Avenue, where the meeting was taking place, restricting access only to registered persons. “But a crowd of several hundred marchers pushed through the barricades and entered the lobby, where they were met by police officers with batons and handcuffs.”

This colligate protest and clash with police comes on the heels of Thursday’s International Day of Action that inspired NYC’s colleges students to act on their support of the Occupy Wall Street Movement and the current occupation of the New School’s Student Center.

[Image Via]

Comments

I second Dan’s comment. Since when is $1500 over 5 years something over which to get arrested. Now maybe I have my math wrong and it’s $4500 (adding 300 every year). Maybe they should just be grateful to have $5100 tuition.

I’m sure there’s a reason for the tuition hikes. Colleges are NOT for profit institutions.

2. Patrick McClellan says

At $5,100 a year, tuition for 4 years is $20,400. With $300 increase each year, tuition over 4 years becomes $23,400. That doesn’t sound like much if you’re at NYU, but for a lot of CUNY students whose parents can’t help with tuition and who already work incredibly hard to pay their own way through college, it’s more significant than it might seem at first.

3. Hilary G says

Dan and Tyler: why would you assume these students don’t already have a part-time job–or a full time job, for that matter? take a moment to consider your privilege and the fact that most students may not enjoy the benefits you have been able to

My privilege? The fact I pay for school myself (with loans), work 20+ hours a week at an unpaid internship, bust my ass studying and networking so that I can get a job after college (to pay off said loans and live a comfortable life doing what I want) – is that what you’re referring to? Sure, it’s better than some, but I don’t think I have it any easier than most of those CUNY protesters.

At worst, their tuition might go up $3000 for four years of a solid education. Let’s break down the math:
    Let’s assume that they get a part-time job that pays $10/hr (hardly a stretch in NYC)
    They need (at worst) $3000 in 4 years.
    There are ~200 weeks in 4 years.
    $3000/200 = $15 (how much extra per week their tuition will be)
    They only need to work 1.5 hr each week for 4 years to cover the difference for an education that is already subsidized by the state and tax-payer dollars. And again, this is worst case scenario.

So, maybe take the time that you would spend protesting and work to pay off your tuition. Not to mention all the legal costs involved in getting arrested, which will likely run you more than $3000. Note: I’m not saying protests are bad, but pick your battles, it’s $300.

This is not even considering the fact that, as Tyler mentioned, I’m sure there’s a very good reason these increases exist.

5. Josephine Ledda says

Hey Dan,
    Why don’t you stop projecting your bitterness on others and respect the fact that other people might not be in your situation, which I would consider fortunate. Not everyone can get scholarships into private universities, and many of the CUNY students are returning from the job field, have children and work full time as well. Respecting other people’s situations and understanding that while a tuition raise can be important that it’s also the duty of the universities to keep tuitions low so that everyone can obtain an education is becoming more and more impossible each year.

you asshole.

6. Tiffany Huan says

Dan and Tyler:

CUNY used to be a free public institution, and for many it is their only affordable choice. I was there not because I want to fight for a free CUNY, but a fair CUNY. Our adjunct professors do not have contracts, health care, or a suitable wage. I have been told by an adjunct professor that he would be making more money if he worked full time at Starbucks. I am personally enraged by the tuition hike because they have not properly utilized the extra tuition money in the past. Hunter’s President alone gave herself a $90,000 raise this year, and much of CUNY administration has free housing and a free car and driver. Not for profit? CUNY also spends this money on unnecessary renovations while we barely have enough desks in every classroom to seat students. In a recent budget, it also shows that they are spending another million+ dollars on CUNY campus security. Clearly, we have enough.
    I was one of the 15 students arrested and brought to jail that night. I was beaten, sexually harassed, and charged for preposterous crimes that neither I nor any of the other arrested students committed (criminal trespassing, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, grand larceny, and assault). I was there to give a voice to this serious student repression, and for that it was worth the entire 24 hours I spent at the 7th precinct and central bookings. I have a voice, and I’m using it.
    Dan Whiteman, it is unfortunate for you that you seem to be just another minion to abusive authority. (I am referring to your 20+ hours a week at an unpaid internship.)
    Thank you NYU for covering this protest.