NYU Facebook Events Roundup: Improv, Asians, and Greek Week

The Good

Spotting Love – April 1, 2, and 3 at 7 pm. Saturday at 3pm and 7pm. $4. Directed, Adapted and Designed by NYU playwrighting student Grant McDonald. Based on the true story and original text written by his brother, Jon-Marc McDonald, detailing his journey coping with his partner’s battle with HIV.

Calumut Show – April 1 at 6pm. 22 W. 22nd Street. A photography show featuring NYU Photo and Imaging seniors. Free wine’s a bonus!

Take Action Now – April 1 at 7pm. Skirball Center. NYU Undergraduate Law Society plan to reengage the subject of genocide prevention and provide substantive ways for students to take political and humanitarian action. If you don’t go to this, you’re not a human being.

Dangerbox Show: A Post April Fool’s/Pre-Arbor Day Celebration
–April 3 at 10pm. 8th Floor Kimmel, Shorin Auditorium. Some improv comedy for your post-April Fool’s blues.

Film Screening: “Special Circumstances”
– March 31 at 7:30pm. Gallatin Lounge (Room 522). The NYU ACLU are offering free empanadas at this earthquake relief event for Chile.

The Boring

ULS Law Shadowing Mixer with Lateral Link –March 30 at 6pm in Kimmel 909. What’s more fun than a mixer with legal professionals? A mixer with people who only want to be legal professionals.

Root Beer Keg Party Sponsored by SOLID Hall Council – April 1 at 7 pm. Lafayette Residence Hall’s Rec and Event’s Room. A Root Beer Keg? Isn’t this supposed to be the Greek dorm?

AHM Opening Ceremony: Embark – April 1 at 6:30pm. Eisner & Lubin Auditorium, 4th Floor Kimmel. Celebrate the start of Asian Heritage Month complete with Asian books, Asian museum curators, Asian professors, Asian organizations, and lots of Asian people.

The Ugly

NYU Nationals Showcase – March 30 at 7pm. Coles Sports Center. Picture it: band geeks, crush-velour leotards, and school spirit.

1st day of NYU Greek Week – April 5. Who knows? Pancakes? Gambling? These Facebook events leave it up to your beautiful imagination.

Hunky Dor(k)y: David’s (Er, David Hume’s) Sense of Probability
– April 1 at 8pm. Silver Center Room 405. NYU philosophy nerds try mixing David Bowie with probability and Thai food. Yum?

Comments

1. Carly Gilfoil says

I can understand how you think that the nationals showcase might be ugly, but to be honest, that title offends me. I know so many members of the cheerleading squad and dance team that work so hard on their routines, not to mention the bobcat who writes, makes props for, and performs a skit for the national competition, that it puts them to shame to call it “ugly.” They had to win a place in the national competition for cheer and dance, so it’s not so much about school spirit as it is about the hard work they put into their sport.

2. Sondra Morishima says

I appreciate your roundup of Facebook events to help get the word out about what other students are putting together, but this categorization is entirely unnecessary. It’s one thing to publicize, it’s another to give bad reviews for something you haven’t even seen. As Carly wrote above, everyone has been working hard to produce these events. I’m on the planning board for Asian Heritage Month and found your review extremely offensive. If this was African Heritage Month’s opening, would you have written, “…complete with Black professors, Black organizations, and lots of Black people?” Probably not. So why the double standard?

3. Joseph Lin says

I understand how you can think an event is boring – but to base it on something being overwhelmingly Asian?

Have you ever even stopped to question why there is an Asian Heritage Month? Perhaps because whiteness is the supposed neutral norm (people don’t often go to an event and realize, “Damn, there are lots of whites!”) – and that seems to be every other month of the year. AHM is a crucial event to celebrate – get the terminology right – Asian American identities, given that it is so often denigrated as you have unfortunately perpetuated. Annie, you have based your distorted judgment of an event based on race but nothing more.

And for the record, there will be ONE museum curator (yes, singular) at the event. Professor Jack Tchen, a professor in Gallatin, History and Social and Cultural Analysis, is a great, inspiring speaker. You’re welcome to come unless of course you find inspiration, community activism and intellect too boring. I will try to understand.

4. Victoria Chau says

Hey Annie! I just wanted to let you know that I think you made a typo in your article, so you should fix it. You listed under “The Boring” as Asian Heritage Month, and you wrote “Asian books, Asian museum curators, Asian professors, Asian organizations, and lots of Asian people.” But when I read these things, I just got so incredibly excited, I almost jumped out of my seat and I marked it on my calendar right away, and I cannot wait to attend this event at 6:30pm today! I don’t see many Asian American people, books, and things all in one place very often so to have something like this all in one event sounds SO COOL! So yes, I guess you accidentally made a typo or something. So you may want to put Asian Heritage Month Opening Ceremony: Embark in the “The Good” section.

I have an opinion though for what you could replace in that with in the “The Boring” section: ignorant staff writers who write on NYULOCAL.com but have no writing or journalism skills whatsoever.

Thanks Annie, for keeping us all in the loop, but remember to check those typos before you publish things otherwise people may get the wrong idea and think you’re a racist or something! We NYU people should look after each other!

Hope to see you around campus!

5. Sidrah Syed says

I couldn’t agree more with the comments above by Carly, Sondra, and Joseph, especially those pertaining to AHM–your categorization of the event is obviously based on a racist judgment.

People learn from ignorance, and you’ve demonstrated a lot of that in here– hopefully you will learn from it and expand your seemingly small scope of cultural experience and become a better contributor to this site. Maybe you should drop by some of these events first, ie AHM, and then express your judgment–unless of course, as Joseph Lin said: “you find inspiration, community activism and intellect too boring.”

Also, I say “seemingly small scope” because that is what you demonstrate in this article–hopefully that’s not the case with other articles/entries you’ve written.

6. Ben Dumond says

I, like several others who have voiced their opinions about this article, find your criticism and categorization of upcoming NYU events distasteful and request that the next time you decide to write an article, you reacquaint yourself with something I like to call “respect.”

To bash the hard work of students who serve the NYU community by providing events that facilitate social networking, promote personal pride for OUR school, aid students in developing and maintaining a sense of cultural identity, and enable everyone at NYU to enjoy themselves whilst they are here is highly offensive and intolerable. As someone who is highly involved in on-campus extracurricular affairs (more than seven this semester alone, including several large-scale productions in which I have maintained several positions of leadership), I have every right to censure the narrow-mindedness of your article (especially your snide comments directed toward the AHM Opening Ceremony, which will, by the way, have several live performances and a great deal of support from the Asian AND non-Asian community).

Furthermore, in comparison to the wry descriptions that you provide for the events under the latter of your three categories, you seem to have failed to provide even the slightest of opinions in your descriptions of events belonging to, what you deem, “The Good” events. Instead you supply us with synopses that could have been directly copied and pasted straight from Facebook itself, with the exception of your comment, “If you don’t go to this, you’re not a human being” provided for the Take Action Now event. I understand that you went to Rwanda and feel strongly about the campaigns against genocide, but under no circumstances does that give you the right to forcefully impose your beliefs upon others through the issuance of such a ridiculous ultimatum. I’ve done my research, maybe it’s time you do yours.

Show some respect toward the work of others in the future. We live in one of the most diverse communities in the nation that is composed of some of the most talented and altruistic individuals in the world, but your article exhibits great deficiency in realizing this fact. I only hope that your beliefs do not share in this general deprivation.

Hi everyone. I would just like to address the racist insinuations made about this article–I am very sorry that those comments came off that way. I only meant for “Asian” to be used as a repetitive rhetorical device–not as the factor that made the event “boring.” I did not mean for this article to be taken very seriously, but I understand that it was and that it had hurtful repercussions. I have many Asian friends and would never want them, or anyone, to think me hateful towards their race. Again, I am truly sorry for this shortsighted mistake.

8. arturo tedore says

I’m not sure why you’re apologizing. Too many people have been apologizing. John Edwards, Tiger, Imus, etc. Sincerity is what people lack today. You should stand by your writing. You didn’t write anything to offend anybody purposely. You just wrote the truth. Sometimes the truth hurt. This is not a news report and is more like a OpEd piece. Your opinion is your truth and you expected that the AMH will be boring. Don’t apologize if you don’t mean it and what you write is just your opinion. Ignorant yes it is but, don’t let people stop you from expressing your thoughts. I mean the school is having some Passover events and I not Jewish so I would of put it in the Ugly category. Though you must not like cheerleaders much.

9. Sruti Ramadugu says

Okay all of this is ridiculous. First of all, as one of Annie’s many Asian friends, I can personally attest to the fact that she is not racist. Second. I don’t understand why the term Asian has suddenly offended everyone. Yeah, there will be a lot of Asian people there. Yeah, there will be a lot of non-Asian people there. If like a lot of groups at NYU, the Asian Heritage Month committee is composed of a lot of Asian students (just as the Women’s History Month Committee is composed of a lot of women, or the Indian Cultural Exchage is composed of a lot of Indians), Annie’s posting of the even would let other people, who are not members of those groups, especially if they weren’t invited on facebook, even know that the event exists. Honestly, I didn’t until I saw it here, and I do, in fact consider myself highly involved in many campus activities.

Once again, I don’t understand why this offends everyone so much. If Annie had talked about an Indian event being filled with Indian food, Indian people, Indian books, Indian professors etc. I wouldn’t have found it offensive at all. If you disagree of Annie’s categorization of boring, fine. But attacking her as racist is uncalled for.

@Ben, way to creep on Annie’s facebook. Not cool.

10. Amy Way says

Annie Werner most definitely should’ve apologized.

It says a lot about the state of race, prejudice, privilege, and power in our society that (aspiring) journalists/bloggers/writers still cannot write a “not serious” piece without injecting it with a healthy dose of racial prejudice/ignorance.

11. Shirley Qin says

Annie, thank you for your apology. I can see from your writing style that you did not mean for this to be an offensive article. However, as you could see, the Asian community was indeed offended by your description and placement of the AHM Opening ceremony. However, I believe that the Asian community was not only offended by the comment on race, but also on the condescending factor of your article. Perhaps you weren’t thinking of it when you wrote the article, and only thought of your own opinions of the maters, but placing certain events under the categories of “Boring” or “Ugly” undermines the hard work put into the events by the student committees, many of whom worked for months on end for the event and for a certain purpose. I hope that next time you write something like this, even in jest, that you are more careful about your wording and choices.

As for Arturo Tedore…Perhaps it is inappropriate of me to be responding to him in this thread, but I have no other way of contacting him.

Dear Arturo Tedore,

Thank you for your comments. They are very informative as to what sort of person you are. I agree, sincerity is what people are lacking today. Genuine feelings for ones beliefs. Yet, I don’t agree that an apology is a sign of insincerity. If anything, apologies are one of the highest forms of sincerity. While she may expect for the AHM opening, or in your words “AMH”, to be boring, then she should have more of a reason behind it than just a description of the event. If anything, the event cannot be judged until after the event has occurred. Considering that it is tonight, I do not think she could have known how it will turn out before hand. Unless of course, she has a time machine. We’re not stopping her from expressing her opinion. After all, freedom of speech and freedom of the press is a right in the United States of America. We are merely expressing our own opinions on the matter of her opinions.

On a final note, I would like to express another one of my own opinions which is that our second to last statement is highly offensive. While you “not Jewish”, putting the Passover events in the “Ugly” for that reason is anti-Semitic. I’m sure that you don’t hate Jewish people or their culture, the wording of that sentence certainly makes it seem so. And I believe that is the point of my comment. Opinions may be expressed, but in order not to seem like a condescending bigot, the proper word choice ought to be used.

Sincerely,
    Shirley Qin

12. Sondra Morishima says

Annie, I want to thank you for your apology. No one on the AHM board thinks you’re racist because of what you said, nor do we believe that you wrote this to purposely offend or maliciously attack anyone based on their race. The snarky comment was just set up in a very unfortunate way, that happened to emphasize the Asianness of the event as well as the fact that you considered it boring. I understand, our opening ceremony is not your cup of tea. However, use caution when discussing events that were born out of a strong political purpose. Asian Heritage Month is a sort of re-claiming of culture, a response to the perversion of Asian American identity through past racism and continuing stereotypes. Even a passing remark can be potentially detrimental.

Again, thank you for the apology. It’s much appreciated.

13. Alex Gnahz says

Yes, this is ridiculous. Ridiculous due to the fact that she labeled the AHM event in a derogatory way PRIOR its occurrence. Of course, people are going to be upset if you label an event – that hasn’t even happened yet – as BORING. If you want to make a pessimistic prejudgement, either keep it to yourself or face the consequences. The committee members of AHM have great pride in the work they’ve put into for the success of these upcoming cultural productions. Of course, they’re going to defend the reputation of their event.

Also, the commenters aren’t attacking Annie – we are not trying to team up on this individual writer. We’re rightfully defending an event that was negatively labeled for no justified reason. We don’t care about who wrote this snippet – we just want to vindicate our event of this insulting label.

14. Alex Pan says

“I have many Asian friends and would never want them, or anyone, to think me hateful towards their race.”

Why is it that people try and justify making offensive remarks about races or minorities that they are not a part of, by saying they have friends or they know a lot people of that race or group to get a free pass? In my opinion, using the “my friend is Asian so I can’t possibly have made a racist statement” excuse helps to reaffirm the accusations.

Although the apology is a step in the right direction, a more meaningful gesture would be for the author to actually attend and cover the AHM Opening Ceremony in order to help promote awareness and understanding of the celebrations so that others do not make the same generalizations that she made.

15. Ben Dumond says

Annie, I appreciate the apology that you have made to the Asian community that we have on campus, but I hope that you also feel some sense of remorse for negating the work that fellow students, faculty and staff have put forth to put these productions (and MANY others) on – we work very hard to produce events that are conducive to an amiable academic and social environment in which people can respectfully share the company of one another. Regardless of what it is that you feel, I want to let you know that I am not insinuating that you are a racist by any means, but merely suggesting that you exercise more discretion in future writing. Thank you for acknowledging the opinions of your readers.

arturo tedore, how anti-Semetic of you. If anything, an apology is the most sincere form of regard one can show to others. I don’t honestly believe your opinions have any bearing on this discussion.

Sruti, you may not personally feel offended by these comments, but I’m sure that you don’t speak for all Indian students on campus. Annie may be a good person and I respect that you’re sticking up for her, but her comments were taken offensively by many members of the Asian community and that in itself should indicate to you that she crossed a line with this piece. And again, we all appreciate the publicity of these events, but revealing them in such a manner as to induce a bias in the readers does not fairly inform them about these events. And by the way, as a reporter of four years, I understand the importance of thoroughly conducting research on a topic before commenting on it. When Annie inserted that comment into the description of Take Action Now- “If you don’t go to this, you’re not a human being” – I was curious to find out what inspired her to so vehemently advocate attendance of the event and so I searched for her prior involvement in human rights and what do you know, I found pictures of her efforts in Rwanda among other things. Facebook is a public domain and the fact that she has left these pictures in the public eye is not by any means something I should be criticized for. How do you think businesses procure information about their applicants? Any information that she has made available for others to view is the result of her discretion, not mine. My intentions here are not to attack you, but to call into question what you are saying and to hopefully help you take something away from this situation.

In any case, I no longer feel it appropriate to perpetuate this discussion in a public thread (for the sake of other people who are sick of reading the responses to this article), so if you would like to discuss it further with me, email me at Ben.Dumond@nyu.edu

Good day. I hope that we can all move on and learn something from this experience.