Muammar Qaddafi, the freshly dead ex-dictator of Libya, was quite a strange guy. He was a fashionista with an iron fist and a “WTF?”-worthy political agenda, but more than that he was just downright weird. Here are some facts you may not have known about the man:
1. He never went anywhere without his entourage of Ukrainian nurses and female virgin bodyguards; the head of the posse and his personal favorite was a “voluptuous blonde” by the name of Galyna.
2. He had a fear of climbing more than 35 steps at a time and would often refuse to go to the upper floors of buildings.
3. When in Rome in August 2010, he paid a modeling agency to get 500 women to attend his lecture where he tried to get them to convert to Islam.
4. He kept a photo album of pictures of Condoleezza Rice and referred to her as his “darling black African woman.” When she visited him on her trip to Tripoli, he gave her $212,000 worth of gifts that included a lute (seriously?) and a locket with his picture inside.
5. He was afraid of flying for prolonged periods of time.
6. When he travelled, he invariably slept in a Bedouin tent that he brought along with him. He sometimes brought camels and horses along as well.
7. He passed on the secrets of an African-style orgy ritual called “Bunga Bunga” to Italian Prime Minister Silvio Burlesconi. What the ritual is exactly is not clear but it may have something to do with pole dancing competitions and a swimming pool.
8. Botox. The man used Botox. Supposedly to maintain his beauty and youth.
9. He was a hypochondriac who got all his medical examinations on film so he could show them to other doctors for a second opinion… or a third… or a fourth…
10. After the Lockerbie bombing, he wore white gloves to a conference in Algiers so as not to touch the “blood stained hands” of the Arab leaders who attended.