This year has been a great one for weird things popping up in seemingly unassuming foods. First, Burger King lovers were betrayed by their beloved monarch when horse meat was found in their burgers. Next, everyone’s favorite furniture store/restaurant/labyrinth followed suit: housewares giant IKEA admitted that its signature Swedish meatballs had that extra equine seasoning, too.
These episodes are certainly not the first, either. As long as the food industry has been around, weird stuff has been sneaking into peoples’ meals. We at NYU Local know you’re secretly fascinated by the nasty, bizarre, awful stuff that has been found in food. So we’ve compiled the best (or worst) of them (Disclaimer: You should probably not eat while reading this).
Bloody Sandwich: A woman eating at a Cracker Barrel in Kingwood, Texas discovered an extra ingredient in her BLT in 2011 (maybe an extra ‘B?’). A waitress confirmed that the cook had cut his wrist in the kitchen–after the woman had already taken a bite of the sandwich. Cracker Barrel offered the woman a $100 gift card–a fair trade for any potential diseases she could’ve picked up.
Extra Chocolate: A couple staying at the Coogee Bay Hotel in Sydney became violently ill after eating chocolate gelato during their stay. And, wouldn’t you know it? Fecal matter was found in the ice cream. Like, poop. The couple, who had previously complained about excessive noise, felt that the act was in retribution. Both the pub owner and the couple are seeking damages.
Custard Finger: The ol’ finger-in-your-happy-meal bit has been done a million times. This time, however, custard was the culprit. And a North Carolina man actually bit into it. “I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream … to make it a treat,” he said. Instead of a sweet treat, he got a severed human finger, lost by an employee working at the custard-dispensing machine. When the man realized what he’d bit into, he let loose this priceless line: “God, this ain’t no nut!”
Condom Soup: Sometimes, it doesn’t have to be blood or guts to be gross. It could even be latex, as one California woman learned when she found a condom in her clam chowder at a McCormick and Schmick’s seafood restaurant. The condom, in case you were wondering, was rolled up.
Candy Tooth: Sometimes, food bites back. Sort of. A Texas woman bit into a Milky Way candy bar, only to discover a tooth with a silver filling in it – which she at first thought was a peanut. Only when she realized that Milky Ways don’t contain peanuts did she know that something was terribly, terribly wrong.
Skin Sandwich: In possibly the most stomach-turning episode of bizarre food findings, a man in Miami found a slice of human skin in his Arby’s chicken sandwich. The man claimed that a 3/4 inch piece of flesh, which had been accidentally sliced off when an employee was cutting lettuce. The man sued for $50,000, understandably.
Sorry if you have to eat lunch now.